Since 2014 Windermere School has utilised the local environment to develop Science lessons. We carry out approximately 40% of lessons in Years 7 and 8 outside, trying to make a connection between Science and everyday life. Some examples include:
- Safely boiling water over a fire to make hot chocolate and discussing the process of evaporation, and boiling in terms of particles and energy transfer.
- Visiting local National Trust grounds for an ecological study which includes transects, pH and water content of soil samples and flora and fauna identification.
- Collecting coloured leaves and boiling them on a fire to make natural indicators.
- Taking samples of invertebrates from the streams to look at water quality and to complete statistical tests.
- Using the outdoor playground to look at forces, balanced and unbalanced.
- Producing large bubbles to look at the refraction of light.
- Water sampling from different points in the lake to titrate and test for oxygen content.
- Using a large game in the woods to demonstrate the predator-prey relationship. This is done in cycles and a graph is plotted depending on the number of prey caught and how much food the predators and the prey have obtained.
JUNIOR OUTDOOR LEARNING
The Early Years at Elleray Campus are where the adventure begins, rooted in the belief that care, creativity, curiosity and courage develop motivated and successful learners, as well as confident and compassionate individuals. Children can join us from their third birthday and will take part in a wide range of experiences in our Forest School and grounds. From Years 3 to 6 students have half a day Outdoor Learning every other week. All students take information in differently and Outdoor Learning allows those that need a practical education to fully reach their potential.
Your journey starts here
Arrange a private tour to experience what it means to be part of our unique school community. As you walk around, observe the inspiring teaching, outstanding location and excellent pastoral care. From sailing to science, Windermere School’s size, ethos and flexibility provides a truly individual education.