The School operates as both an RYA Training Centre and a recognised centre for British Youth Sailing, representing the two sides of sailing: training and racing.
While a number of students have aspirations to represent GB at the highest level, others simply want to appreciate learning to sail and work through the RYA training stages to enjoy sailing solely for pleasure.
We have a number of boats used for sail training to suit experience and size, while our mixed team of boys and girls race in Tera and Feva dinghies. We sail against other schools in local races with the Royal Windermere Yacht Club Denis Hopper Series and at RYA North West Traveler races. We also compete at Grand Prix series around the country, at the National Championships, and at the World Championships. We believe we are uniquely positioned to take children of all abilities, and our highly qualified coaching and sailing staff seek to provide as wide a range of sailing opportunities as possible.
Students may join us as experienced sailors with aspirations to achieve highly or arrive as novices, and will receive equally dedicated support to allow them to reach their potential. We encourage students to join early on in their Windermere School journey, as many of our highest achieving sailors joined us at the beginning of their School life, at Elleray Campus. We are very proud of this achievement.
We have a number of boats used for sail training to suit experience and size, while our mixed team of boys and girls race in Tera and Feva dinghies.
Sailing develops many skills that are transferable to the outside world:
- Social and communication skills; confidence in groups, presentation skills, communication and ability to interact with others.
- Team work; working as part of a team and the development of reflective skills.
- Organisation skills; planning, prioritising, goal setting and monitoring, target setting and evaluating.
- Decision making; decision making is central to sailing, sailors develop the robust skills of problem solving under pressure, creative thinking and information processing.
- Psychological skills; improved confidence, commitment, an awareness and ability of managing emotions and stress, improved task focus, dealing with pressure and adversity, coping with setbacks and target setting.
Sailing as an After-School Activity
After-school sailing activities include:
- Racing against Windermere Royal Yacht Club
- Recreational sailing
- Elleray Campus race training
- Senior School race training
- Windermere School’s “Frostbite” winter racing series.