The International Baccalaureate Career-Related Programme (IBCP)
What is the International Baccalaureate Career-Related Programme?
With competition for jobs ever-increasing, we know that you want to stand out from the crowd. The International Baccalaureate Career-Related Programme (IBCP) prepares pupils for the world of work, as well as developing a pupil’s personal skills and qualities.
Windermere School was one of only eleven schools worldwide, and the only school in the UK, to pilot what has become known as the IBCP which has now become widely adopted. Based on a number of years’ experience of successfully preparing pupils for the world beyond Windermere School, this course incorporates the vision, principles and academic rigour of IB, but also provides a personalised, career-related pathway for those wanting to acquire real-world skills.
Pupils in the IBCP develop transferable, lifelong, skills that are greatly valued by employers. We ensure that every pupil undertakes a work experience placement during the course, to gain insight into the challenges faced by business today, as well as providing an opportunity for pupils to apply their knowledge to real-world projects.
We offer a BTEC National in Business as it provides specialist, career-related, learning relevant to a range of sectors as well as BTEC Sport, Coaching and Development which is a highly practical and progression focused, allowing for practical and professional skills development. BTEC is the world’s most successful applied learning brand and can be delivered as a standalone qualification, or an integral part of the IBCP. The Level 3 qualification is an excellent route to employment, apprenticeships, or university. Around 25% of university students in Britain today have gained their place with a BTEC qualification.
Pupils choose a Business or Sport, Coaching and Development BTEC and two IB subjects that form the academic curriculum. To supplement your BTEC and IB subjects our programme features a career-related core consisting of four components. These capabilities are complementary to the accredited skills pupils gain as a requirement of their career-related studies.
Through the IBCP qualification we offer:
- Service Learning – pupils develop an understanding of local knowledge, civic responsibility, social aptitude and personal growth.
- Personal and Professional Skills – emphasising transferable skills development for the workplace.
- Language Development – to help increase intercultural understanding.
- Reflective Project – pupils are asked to identify, analyse, critically discuss, and evaluate an ethical issue arising from their career-related studies.
Career-related Programme Certificates will be awarded subject to the satisfactory completion of the following requirements by a candidate:
- The candidate has completed the specified career-related study. Windermere School offers BTEC National Level 3.
- The candidate has been awarded a grade 3 or more in at least two of the IB Diploma subjects.
- The candidate has been awarded a grade of at least D for the Reflective Project.
- The Personal and Professional Skills Course has been completed.
- There is evidence of both Language Development, and Community and Service having been undertaken.
The IBCP is growing in popularity and in university recognition. Our pupils consistently gain access to a range of top universities including Manchester, Leeds, and Lancaster to name a few.
A number of our pupils have gained results that equate to 40+ IBDP points (only 7% of pupils worldwide achieve 40+ IB points), and gain recognition on the School Honours Board.
Read more about the Class of 2020’s examination results here.
Not for you? Learn about our International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, ideal for pupils dedicated to doing their best and commitment to learning both in and beyond the classroom.
IB Diploma Programme
If the IBCP is not for you, why not learn more about our IBDP offering? Ideal for pupils dedicated to doing their best and commitment to learning both in and beyond the classroom, it is a rewarding and academically rigorous qualification.