The IB Diploma Programme (IBDP)
What is the IB Diploma Programme?
The IB Diploma Programme is a rewarding and academically rigorous qualification, which is recognised and highly sought after by leading universities across the world.
We are a non-academically selective school with an IB mean score well above the world average. Small class sizes, combined with a strong tutoring system, allow us to ensure that each pupil gets the support and guidance necessary to achieve their full potential.
The Higher Education Statistics Agency 2016 Report found that pupils who studied the IBDP have a 57% greater likelihood of attending one of the top twenty UK universities, than pupils who study traditional A-Levels, with double the probability of engaging in further studies such as a Masters or PhD.
The IBDP is made up of three core elements that are studied alongside individual subjects. These are designed specifically to broaden the educational experience, applying the knowledge gained to real-life situations.
IBDP core elements:
- Theory of Knowledge – pupils reflect on the nature of knowledge, how we know what we know
- The Extended Essay – an independent, self-directed, piece of research on a chosen subject
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) – a portfolio of activities enjoyed and reflections on what they have learned related to the above
Do you still need convincing?
- IB pupils have a larger probability of achieving both a first and second class degree compared to their A-Level peers – 23% of IB pupils achieve a first-class degree compared with 19% of A-Level pupils.
- IB pupils have greater post-education prospects, on average earning more than their A-Level counterparts.
- The highest median salary for an IB leaver who holds a degree in Mathematical Sciences is £30,000, compared to £22,000 for A Level pupils who graduate with the same degree.
- 18% of IB alumni are employed in professional, scientific, and technical activities, compared to 13% of A-Level pupils. A-Level pupils are more likely to be employed in wholesale and retail trades (16%) compared to 10% of IB students.
Not for you? Learn about our International Baccalaureate Career-Related Programme, ideal for those that already know the career path they want to follow.
To learn more about what Windermere School can offer you, please fill in our easy Enquiry Form below and a member of the admissions team will be in touch shortly.
IB Career Programme
If the IBDP is not for you, why not learn more about our IBCP offering? Ideal for those that already know the career path they want to follow, the IBCP prepares pupils for the world of work and entrepreneurship.