WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO COMPLETE THE AWARD?
With assistance from adult Leaders, participants select and set objectives in each of the following areas:
- Volunteering – undertaking service to individuals or the community.
- Physical – improving in an area of sport, dance or fitness activities.
- Skills – developing practical and social skills and personal interests.
- Expedition – planning, training for, and completion of an adventurous journey in the UK or abroad.
- At Gold level, participants must do an additional fifth Residential section, which involves staying and working away from home for five days, doing a shared activity.
To achieve an award, the participant must work on each section for a minimum period of time. Each progressive level demands more time and commitment from participants: Bronze 3–6 months; Silver: 6–9 months; Gold: 12–18 months. Participants are required to show regular activity and commitment to the award for the duration of their DofE programme, which is usually at least one hour per week. Participants keep a record of their work through an online profile. This enables students to keep track of their progress and manage their award.
WHY DO DofE?
As with many things in life you can never stop learning, or learn it all. We hope the skills that you are choosing to develop and practice today create friendships, experiences and memories that last a lifetime.